Sunday, January 13, 2008

And Hillary's "Change" just keeps coming...

Robert L. Johnson,the president of Black Entertainment Television (BET) stumping today with Hillary Clinton in SC, made the following comment:

“And to me, as an African-American, I am frankly insulted that the Obama campaign would imply that we are so stupid that we would think Hillary and Bill Clinton, who have been deeply and emotionally involved in black issues since Barack Obama was doing something in the neighborhood –­ and I won’t say what he was doing, but he said it in the book –­ when they have been involved.” (highlights mine)

During the run-up to the NH primary, Hillary fired a staffer who brought up Obama's drug use and then kicked it up a notch and implied he was also a drug dealer. Yet, through her surrogate on the campaign trail, the issue of Mr. Obama's drug use is being injected into the deeply religious state of SC. Will she publically chastise Mr. Johnson for his remarks? I think not.

Mr. Johnson, later in the day, has done what in Politics is a common practice, amended his remarks:

"My comments today were referring to Barack Obama’s time spent as a community organizer, and nothing else. Any other suggestion is simply irresponsible and incorrect."

Dissembling in politics is second nature, but this is simply bad form. Does any reasonable person believe that Mr. Johnson was referring to community organizing when he wouldn't even deign to spell out what he meant? Let me repeat his disparaging statement: "Barack Obama was doing something in the neighborhood –­ and I won’t say what he was doing, but he said it in the book –"

I won't say it but it's right there in his book! You know, community organizing (gasp)!

I guess I'm being "irresponsible and incorrect" when I call Mr. Johnson a liar. My advice Mr. Johnson, is to hire your own team of spin doctor's to speak for you. The crew over in Hillary's camp make you sound like a moron.

I will breathlessly await Hillary's condemnation of Mr. Johnson's remarks.

No comments: